"Don't develop thick skin, develop consciousness."
ABOUT THIS MODULE
Welcome to your personal consciousness 'to do' list.
In this Module you'll focus on becoming more aware of who you are now, and who you'd like to become - your confident, remarkable, future self.
Get your journal ready...
There are exercises to explore your values, to get grounded, and to get clear on what's important to you.
Start by watching the video, and completing each exercise and practice in turn.
Keep your journal handy to write down your thoughts, feelings and anything that comes up for you. Use the journal prompts if you get stuck - or if you want to take your exploration off on a trek.
The more you put into your exploration, the more you'll get out of it.
You have access to this material for a long time - so take your time...
Feel free to post any comments and insights you'd like to share in the comments box below.
Go confidently at your own pace, and re-discover your remarkable self!
Each module will have prompts to help you get your journaling going.
Your entries can be a few dot points, several pages, or anywhere in between. The prompts are there to help you get started, and to keep your awareness - your consciousness growing.
After each of the exercises try answering some of these questions:
- What did I think about this exercise - the process, the responses I wrote or didn't write? How did they make me feel?
- Were there any surprises in my responses to the values exercise or the character survey? Does it challenge my beliefs about myself? What are my beliefs about myself?
- Has looking more closely at some of these areas of my life brought up any concerns or fears?
- What made me cranky or disgruntled today?
- Three things I'm grateful for today are... and I feel... about them.
- Three things I got done today are... and I feel... about them.
- Three things I'm going to do tomorrow are... and I feel... about them.
Complete each exercise
Try each practice
Use the prompts to help you reflect
Browse more things to watch, read, listen to, and explore
- Life Marker
Do this exercise to see where you're starting from and to help decide what you want to work on first. You can print out the PDF or record your responses in your journal.
- Exploring my values
Print out the PDF and complete this exercise to remind yourself about what's important. Write your top 5 values in your journal.
Exercise 3 Go to this link HERE and complete the free character strengths assessment from the VIA Institute on Character. Don't overthink it, there is no right answer. Journal about what your top 5 strengths were. Do you agree with the assessment? Were there any surprises?
- The Stillness Exercise
Slip this simple practice into your diary 2 or 3 times a day, everyday, to begin practicing mindful meditation.
Download one of the audio files, save it to your phone for access anytime.
After a few weeks you'll be able to slip into stillness as soon as you take one slow, deep breath.
The Stillness Exercise (long version)
The Stillness Exercise (short version)
- Getting Grounded
This is a physical practice. Watch the video and then try the practice with a friend. Add this to your daily routine.
Module 1 Webinar
Watch this for more information around the content of Module 1
If you'd like to read or see more about becoming conscious and mindful, check out some of my favourite resources here.
These resources are not mandatory, they're for you to explore - or not... Let us know if you have another favourite you'd like to share.
- The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win your Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield
- The Heroine's Journey: Woman's Quest for Wholeness by Maureen Murdock
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradbury & Jean Greaves
- Mindfulness: a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world by Mark Williams & Danny Penman (Piatkus)
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M Pirsig
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- Power Vs Force by David R Hawkins
- Peaceful Warrior - There is never nothing going on (1:35 mins)
- Carol Dweck - The power of believing that you can improve (10:20 mins)
- Ellen Langer - Mindfulness over matter (22:20 mins)
- Dan Dennett - The illusion of consciousness (21:48 mins)
- Adam Ostrow - After your final status update (5:29 mins)